Thursday, December 17, 2009

Do Hard Things

Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low ExpectationsI have been reading some really good books lately. My latest is "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris. If you haven't heard of it I would encourage you to read it. It is written by two teen brothers about starting what they refer to as a rebelution in our country. This means stepping out of the teen stereotype of we are teens and it is our chance to have fun into do hard things. As I have been reading it I can see how both of my boys have been influenced by the teen stereotype. They have learned how to get by but they could be doing so much more. When people compliment you and tell you how you are doing such a great job the tendency is to stop there even when you know you could do better. These teens recommend that you always reach higher and do things that force you to move out of your comfort zone.

I can especially see how this has affected one of my sons. He could be accomplishing so much more but the expectations are so low for our teens that it appears that is doing really well. I have been accused that my expectations are too high but I have noticed even since my children were little that the more you expect the more they do. This could lead into a whole new discussion. Just a little commentary on this great book. I am actually reading out loud to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment