Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Testing- ACT - SAT- PSAT- Placements tests

I just registered my 11th grader for the PSAT. He is taking it at his old Catholic high school. I just have to remember to make sure he has the homeschooling code when he takes it. The proctor should have it but I trust no one.

Interestingly enough, last year when my older son took the PSAT no one in his class qualified as a national merit scholar. It is definitely a good idea to go through the format with my younger one before he takes it. Apparently, no one explain the test and how it is scored. I haven't totally researched it yet but I do believe they are counted down for incorrect answers like the SAT. More on that when my research is done.

ACT vs. SAT
1. Take both

2. SAT the colleges super score- which means if you take it multiple times the schools can take the highest score from each sub test to come up with a composite, or as they call it a super score.

3. You don't need to know any science for the science on the ACT you just have to be able to read graphs.

4. Timing is everything. My son raised his reading score 4 points by just learning how to time the reading selections.

5. On the ACT the sub test scores can vary up to 5 points from one test to the next. The tests seem to be layed out very different. Some math tests are more arithmetic and some more reading.

6. The whole thing does not seem very accurate. It's a game. You just have to learn how to play it or teach your children how to play it, unfortunately.

7. These test surely are not really a sign of success. Statistically they don't seem very accurate.

8. Sending scores- you can send a new set of scores even after you are accepted, just make sure to notify the school so they can pull the new scores. This will help with merit scholarship up until Jan. of the year they plan to enroll.

9. Writing- if you can write a 4-5 paragraph essay with a thesis that is supported and concluded you will be fine. My son is not a great writer but he did pretty well. Not a perfect score but not bad.

Placement tests

Really, what is the purpose? I am being slightly facetious since my boys just took one for spanish. A little background: They both have 2 years high school spanish but I wanted to be sure they were prepared to take the 103 level class at the community college. They took the test and one of them got 8 hours credit one didn't get any. The interesting thing is they had the same teacher and got the same grade in the class. The poorer test taker did better. The interesting part is the department head who graded the test said it doesn't really matter because they both meet the prerequisite for the 103 class so they both can take that one. He will give the one boy credit for 101 and 102 and if the other one gets a "C" in the class he will also get credit.

So I am back to what was the purpose of the test. The audio on the test was so old they could hardly understand what was being said. I mentioned it and the testing office and the professor both said they knew because the test is old. OK then why wouldn't you fix it? Stupid question, I guess.

To make things worse the professor told me to register them for the class but when I went to do that the computer wouldn't let me because they didn't attend the new student orientation. So, I did what every good mom would do, I called, only to find out I need to fill out a waiver because they don't need to attend the orientation. Of course, this had to be done at the college. Now I have 3 days to register them for the classes I want them in or I have to go through this again.

I guess I should have made this multiple posts but this is why I call this gobbeledgook.

No comments:

Post a Comment